The following drain cleaning tips can help you avoid clogging and unnecessary repairs:
- Use a plunger. There’s a reason the plunger has never been replaced as the main tool for unclogging drains: it works. Clogs can often be cleared up by plunging forced air and strong suction through the drain to loosen the obstructing material.
- Use boiling water. Boil water in a pot. Then pour the water down the drain in small amounts every few seconds so that clogged material is slowly loosened or dissolved.
- Use baking soda and vinegar. Create a potent drain-unclogging potion by mixing 1/3 of a cup of baking soda with 1/3 of a cup of vinegar. After pouring it down your drain you should see bubbling from the chemical reaction that helps dissolve or loosen the clog. Let the mixture sit in the drain for at least an hour before flushing it with hot water.
- Use a bent wire hanger. Little known fact: wire coat hangers also make for effective tools for unclogging drains. Hangers should be straightened as much as possible but also bend at the end to form a hook. The hook should be sent down the drain and pulled up to catch and remove the clogged material. Afterwards flush with hot water.
- Create “Toilet Bombs.” With only 2 cups baking soda, ¼ cup epsom salt, and 9 tablespoons liquid dish detergent you can create a potent weapon to launch against tenacious clogs. First, line a muffin tin with muffin liners. Using a bowl, mix the baking soda and Epsom salt, slowly stirring in the detergent. Place the resulting compound in the muffin liners and let them dry overnight. Remove a single “bomb” from its liner, place it in your toilet with five cups of hot water, and leave it there for four hours. Afterwards you can flush the clog.
- Use a “snake.” Plumber’s snakes are even more effective than wire hangers, reaching deep into your drainpipe to extract clogs.
- DO NOT use drain cleaner. Though easy to use, chemical drain cleaners should never be employed for drain clogs. The chemicals in such cleaners can corrode your pipes over time and result in even more severe issues in the long run.
Clogs slow draining water, which can permanently damage plumbing fixtures. Make sure, then, that clogs are addressed and fixed as soon as possible. If the tips above aren’t enough to solve your problem then consult Top Service Plumbing. Top Plumbing Services provides emergency drain cleaning to businesses as well as homes. We thoroughly inspect the blocked drain, find out the reason for the blockage, and clean it with specialized tools.
Top service plumbing is a full-service plumbing contractor servicing southern California. We provide drain clean and repair services to Murrieta, Temecula, Corona, and surrounding cities. We are a licensed contractor Lic #1003640; we are insured and bonded with workman’s compensation.